NEW WEBSITE! Report any website issues like broken links and any possible bugs by contacting us.
Follow the development of our projects on social media:


Both critical and theoretical information pertaining to each Wolven project as it develops
Using UV light to kill mold

How Can UV Light Kill Mold?

As long as there is enough moisture and oxygen, mold can grow anywhere.

The presence of mold can affect the structural composition and aesthetics of a building and most importantly, the health of those living inside.

Have you discovered mold in your home or workplace? Are you wondering how to eliminate it and prevent it from growing?

There are various mold removal techniques.

Each of them has its strengths and drawbacks. Therefore, it’s common for mold to eventually regrow.

To prevent that, you should eliminate the conditions that mold requires to thrive. Here’s what you can do:

  • Keep humidity levels below 50%. A dehumidifier or an air conditioner will help you keep those low.
  • Use exhaust fans to make sure that your space has enough ventilation
  • Fix any leaks in the walls, roofs, or plumbing to avoid mold colonizing on those wet surfaces.

But what should you do if, despite these preventive measures and repeated cleaning, mold still keeps growing?

We advise you to use UV light to kill mold. It’s the most effective mold remediation and prevention technique.

Can You Use UV Light to Kill Mold, and How Does It Work?

In the late 1800s, scientists confirmed UV light to be proven technology that kills 99.99% of mold, fungus, bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens.

At short wavelength frequencies, UV light becomes germicidal. When these germicidal rays come in contact with mold, they penetrate into the mold’s nuclei. Upon penetration, they alter the DNA and RNA components of the micro-organisms. Upon changing the mold’s DNA and RNA, it causes a defect in cell reproduction. Since mold is no longer able to reproduce, this will eventually lead to the death of the cell and the mold.

Is UV Light Effective?

Have you wondered why mold usually grows in dark and shaded areas and never in places that get plenty of sunlight? That’s because the germ-killing power of the sun isn’t reaching them. UV-C light brings power of the sun indoors.

UV light is effective because it disinfects everywhere the light touches. This means that it destroys the visible mold on surfaces and gets rid of airborne spores that you cannot see. It prevents further spreading of the mold as well as colonies from regrowing.

One of the advantages of using UV light is that you do not need to use harmful chemicals. When chemicals such as chlorine bleach are used to clean, it has a detrimental effect on the health of the cleaner. It also affects those in the same premises and the material exposed to it. UV light kills mold without these adverse effects.

Today UV-C light has numerous applications. These include water purification, fluorescent inspection, and hygiene control in hospitals to sterilize medical equipment and operating rooms and prevent the spread of superbugs.

What Are The Best Conditions For UV Light To Kill Mold?

The effectiveness of UV light in killing mold depends on multiple factors. This includes light intensity, the mold colony’s size, the distance between the infected area and the UV light cleanser, and the length of exposure.

The higher the intensity and the longer the length of exposure on mold surfaces, the more effective it becomes. However, it also becomes harmful to humans and can cause damage to the skin and eyes. Therefore, it’s important to wear protective goggles and gloves when using UV light to kill mold.

For UV light to kill mold effectively, one must consider the line of sight. If the mold is behind an object and the UV light isn’t directly hitting it, then the UV light’s germicidal effect is non-existent. The light has to actually hit the mold to have any impact on it.


So, can you use UV light to kill mold? The answer is yes. It is highly effective against mold and other pathogens. Therefore, UV light can be an integral part of the regular cleaning and disinfecting routine. It can not only get rid of any mold but also prevent its further spread.

Keep in mind though that UV light provides disinfection. So, mold and the spores will no longer be alive, but you will still be able to see the dead colony. Therefore, you will still need to clean, repaint the surface, or hire a professional to do for you. Yet, after that, with regular UV light application, your home should be safe and free of mold.

You may also like
The properties of UV-C light can have a negative effect on the durability of different kinds of material
How Does UV-C Light Impact Material?
The Effect of UVC light on Fabric
Does UV-C Light Damage Fabric?
The effect of UVC on materials
The Hidden Dangers of Using Too Much Hand Sanitizer
UV light safety precautions
Do’s and Don’ts of Buying and Using a UV Cleanser

Leave a Reply